Monday, December 27, 2010

The New Year Resolution

It's that time of year again...we all want to better ourselves: lose weight, eat better, sleep better, exercise more, spend less, find that perfect job, the list can go on and on. Every year I make the same resolution, to do one load of laundry a day so I stay caught up. Seriously. Last year I also had some exercise resolutions that didn't happen but I try not to dwell on them.

In keeping with this, I went back to the gym today. It was too cold to run outside so I got in three miles on the dreadmill. Ugh. When I was done, I came home to eat, drink, and be merry and instead found myself making my own sports drink. See, I love Gatorade. I drink tons of it when I am training, from the time I wake up until I go to bed. My stomach loves it. It helps me to not get run down when I am halfway through my runs. It also helps me avoid runners gut which can be miserable. Here's what I don't love about it: high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, dextrose, citric acid, artificial flavor, monopotassium phosphate, calcium silicate, food starch, artificial color. Cal me crazy but I am not thrilled about eating or drinking a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce.

So I brewed my own concoction this afternoon. It has five ingredients: water, organic salt, organic sugar, fresh squeezed orange and lemon juice. I know exactly what I am putting into my body which I like. An 8 ounce serving has 50 calories, 110 mg of sodium, and about 12 grams of carbohydrates. Just what I need to keep me moving. My resolution will be the same as always...to stay on top of laundry! I would also like to:

Run a half marathon in under two hours
Run a rock-n-roll half marathon somewhere great (San Antonio, Nashville, or Philly)
Run a 5k in under 25 minutes
Run a 10k in under 50 minutes
Finish 2 sprint triathlons in a decent time

Guess I need to get off the computer and get to working out! Good luck on keeping your resolutions!

Rachel :)
Pin It

No comments: