Tuesday, September 13, 2011

DIY Burlap Wreath

Ever since I painted my back door, and added some fabulous new numbers to it, I've been eyeing some fall wreaths to finish it up. These two caught my eye...

ruffle wreath
Jones Design Company

Etsy
They are similar and different...I love the ruffles on both. The first one is a bit shabbier while the second is more tailored. I tried to combine the two and this is what I came up with...
This is what you'll need:
foam wreath
1 to 1 1/2 yards of burlap
hot glue gun
straight pins


I cut the burlap into three, 2 to 3 inch strips. I then wrapped them around the wreath securing with hot glue and pins until the entire wreath was covered.


The rest of the burlap I cut into 6 inch strips. I sewed the long ends together to make a tube. I then pulled it through so the seam was on the inside. This is when I began to gather and glue it around the wreath.


I tucked a little of the fabric under itself, attaching with the hot glue and securing with the straight pins.


It took almost two of the long tubes of burlap I had sewn
to complete the first layer.


I repeated the process, this time attaching the ruffle to the center of the wreath.
After both layers of ruffles were on I tried to smush the back layer down a bit by pushing straight pins through every few inches to make it poof a bit. I also did this with the front layer. The pins go in nice and tight if you stick them through a spot where there is some glue.




Happy Fall!

PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE
Day 13
A picture of yourself with 13 things...seriously, I think you've seen enough of me in pictures. And 13 things...hmmmm...how about the number 13...


These cute jars were picked up for me by a super friend who knows my love for anything numbered!

Happy Tuesday!

Rachel :)



southern hospitality
Pin It

2 comments:

Leasa said...

Your wreath is great. I would love to make one I just don't think I would have the patience.
Stoppng by from Its Fall Y'all with Rhoda.
Come check me out at Funkymom Cards
http://funkymomcards.blogspot.com/2011/09/fall-porch.html

Eileen @ Cottage Beach House said...

I Love your burlap wreath. lots of work but so worth the trouble.