Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Kitchen Love

I'm not really an accessory kind of gal. I wear the same earrings, ring, and watch everyday. No bracelet. No necklace. Just your basic stuff. My kitchen is pretty basic as well. I like clean counter tops. No clutter. At all. A while back I posted about some kitchen tweaking I had been doing. With all of the work we have done with the breakfast nook and gallery wall, the rest of the kitchen was looking a little bare. A few years ago I had ivy topiaries beside the kitchen sink. They died. Oh well. I am terrible with house plants. Last week I saw this photo and thought it was GREAT inspiration to make topiaries...

A Little Lovely

There are super directions on the blog on how to make a topiary. I gathered my supplies:
terra cotta pot
paint
tape
newspaper
hot glue gun
hot glue
moss
paint brush
stencils
floral foam
dowel rod
ribbon
sandpaper

Most of the above I had. This is what I had to buy:

terra cotta pots ($4)
moss ($5)
ribbon ($3.50)
floral foam ($3.50)
2 floral balls ($10)

OK...this was getting ridiculous. Granted I had a 20% off coupon, but my total came to $26...minus the 20%...it was $20.80. Not bad, but more than I wanted to spend for this project. When I came home i fiddled around and decided I didn't like the new pots. They were a little small and a little short. I thought I had wooden candlesticks somewhere and maybe I could turn the pots into a urn. That when I went in the attic and found these in the yard sale pile:



Oh yeah! Topiaries! I had forgotten all about them. They were hand-me-downs from a friend several years ago, but I never loved the boxwood. So, I started plucking...and then I had naked topiaries!


Add in a little hot glue, spanish moss, antique white spray paint, plus sandpaper and here's what I ended up with:





     

This project ended up costing $4 for the spanish moss... everything else I had...woohoohoo!! Tomorrow I get to go back to the store and do a little returning...

Rachel :)
Pin It

No comments: