Friday, July 8, 2011

My kind of remodeling

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you probably know that Rachel and I are complete opposites.  She remodels her house, I remodel my jewelry.  You've seen how she does her thang...now here's how I do mine (well, actually, I have about 5 people that help me with my process).

I'm a private jeweler at Ascot Diamonds.  Right now, I'm working with a client on an engagement ring. His mother gave him her 1.70 carat round diamond to use for his fiance.  He wants to create a new custom setting that is more his girlfriend's taste. This is the picture he sent me of the ring he wants to copy.


This is such a simple design that Margie, the woman who HANDCARVES our waxes, could do this in her sleep.  For those of you who don't know, all handmade jewelry starts out as a wax.  Literally, it is the design carved out of wax.  It's then sent off to be cast in the metal of the client's choosing.  Once it's been cast, it comes back here to go through the finishing process and have the stones set.  All in all, it takes about 5 weeks for a custom piece.  

Personally, I am fascinated by this process and could sit and watch Margie for hours.  It gets on her nerves, though, so I don't.  Stay tuned for the wax...she's almost finished!

XOXO,
Marlene

Pin It

No comments: