Thursday, May 3, 2012

Recreating a $500 Wooden Sculpture

Pinterest. Ugh. Not only does it make my mind race with a million ideas, it was the source where Marlene found a wooden sculpture she fell in love with. A $500 wooden sculpture. Seriously.

Pink Door Decor

So for her birthday a few weeks ago...I (as in not really me, but Marlene) decided that I could recreate this and make it for her for much less. I can't complain...it's wonderful to have friends that believe in you more than you believe in yourself.


Mr. T bought a jigsaw for me for Christmas that was still in the box, so this was the perfect opportunity to break it in. After putting the blade in backwards, I did more than break it in, I almost broke it and cut my finger off when I made my first cut. It didn't take long and after a few cuts I was ready to go. I made a 12" pattern to use for each "petal" and used a cabinet grade 3/4 inch plywood.


After cutting and sanding with an 80 grit followed by a 220 grit, I used MinWax Weathered Oak to stain the petals.


I cut the base from a two inch thick piece of old wood, sanded it down, and stained it with Special Walnut followed with a second coat of Ebony.



The petals were put together with wood glue and held in place overnight with clamps...no nails or screws, which makes this two sided...yay! I cut a wooden dowel rod to hold it in place and used my wonderful Porter Cable Forstner Drill Bit Set to drill all the holes for the dowels. If you don't have this set, get it...it rocks my socks! After everything was dried and drilled it was ready to put together...


And again the $500 original...



And my $11 creation...


Happy Birthday Marlene!!!

Rachel :)
Pin It

4 comments:

Just Spiff It said...

very impressive! Actually I like your better. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP!! I love it. Penny

Sam said...

Awesome! Great job :)

janzi said...

How very clever you are and how lucky your darling daughter was to get that for her birthday... it wasnot the price that made it special but all the effort and love you gave her in making it for her special day... I shall be following your blog now that I have discovered you and your very uplifting ideas!! hugs from across the pond, Janzi