Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Big Blank Wall

I am constantly getting decorating ideas from friends, magazines, blogs, and any place I can find inspiration. We have a wall in our house, at the end of a hallway, that I have never known quite what to do with. A big blank canvas, I have tried a few pieces the past few years that have never worked quite the way I wanted them to. Several months ago I was browsing through one of my favorite catalogs when I came across this ledge. I loved, loved, loved it...its price just didn't love me back. The small ledge was the perfect size, but I wanted two for this wonderfully blank wall and at $145 a piece that just wasn't going to happen.

What's a girl to do?...make your own!

With the help of a friend, I was able to make not one...but two shelves for a total of $52! Primed wood was used, and I had enough paint left over to paint them the same color as the hall walls. After the paint dried I roughed them up with a little sandpaper, took some brown stain and gave them a little rub. Today, I have a great place to display my favorite artwork given to me my Brainy Smurf and Smurfette. I got exactly what I wanted and was able to save tons of $ in the process...good luck to all of you in making your decorating wishes come true!




Rachel :) Pin It

No comments: