Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Best Thanksgiving Accessory

When you get done taking off all of those layers that Marlene has you wearing, throw on an apron and try making one of these to accessorize your Thanksgiving table. I love a good pumpkin roll. I got into them a year ago after a lunch date with a dear friend. It was the Friday before Thanksgiving and we went to our favorite lunch spot down the block. (Whenever you can walk to a restaurant it immediately gets rave reviews!) After lunch we sampled their pumpkin roll...so yummy, but at $45 a roll it didn't exactly work into our lunch budget. It was then I began a quest for the perfect pumpkin roll recipe.
Here it is...

ingredients for Pumpkin Roll
Ingredients
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 375*. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle towel with powdered sugar.


Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.


Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack with the seam of the roll facing down.


Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth.


Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake.


Reroll cake. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

Tomorrow is Freaky Friday...stay tuned for a post from Marlene!

Rachel :)


Cast Party Wednesday


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pin It

6 comments:

Abby said...

You're making me miss fall so much! I love pumpkin season! Your roll looks delicious.

Lyuba @ Will Cook For Smiles said...

Wow, that looks amazing. I want some now, actually I've always wanted to try making this roll. May be I will make it for Thanksgiving this year!

Come see me at http://www.willcookforsmiles.com/

MrsJenB said...

This is absolutely fantastic. Pumpkin roll is something I look forward to each fall. I've always been hesitant to make my own, though, because of the rolling-up part. Is it fairly easy to do without breaking the cake up? I know my husband would die of happiness if I made one for him!

Rachel said...

That is something I've struggled with!! I've made them in two different size pans: 10x15 and 11x17. It breaks less with the smaller pan, but you have to find the perfect time to ice it. Too soon and the icing will melt. Wait too long and it's harder to unroll. I hope this helps...good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Guess whose been featured at Cast Party Wednesday this week? YOU!!! Woohoo!!! Come by the party tomorrow and grab your featured button. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

This is so pretty and looks DELICIOUS! I would love for you to share this post at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/07/28/savvy-homemade-monday-party-1/

I hope to see you there!