Thursday, June 30, 2011

My House Smells Like a Giant Pickle

So, I've been building this farmhouse table for my mom for her birthday...are you tired of hearing about this yet? She wanted me to use 100 year old wood. Seriously. Do you know how hard it is to find old wood in good condition? I was starting to stress when I found Tiffany from Hello. Howdy. How are you.  She made a farmhouse table and had found (and tried) and great technique for making new wood old. She also built a kick butt farmhouse table you can check out here.

The technique is as follows:

1. put fine (0000) steel wool pads in a mason jar
2. fill jar with white vinegar (I used distilled)
3. throw in a few rusty nails and washers
3. let jar sit overnight (mine sat 20 hours)
4. shake jar and apply vinegar to wood



Here's my jar. Sitting for 20 hours. After a few hours I opened it just to see what was going on inside. It semi exploded, vinegar went everywhere and my house smelled like a giant pickle. So...I closed it back up and waited. 20 hours. I hope this works...

Rachel :)
Pin It